What Employers Need to Know about Taxing Benefits
Tuesday, June 13, 2017
2:00 p.m. ET / 11:00 a.m. PT
When an employer offers employee benefits, there are requirements to tax certain benefits. While most employers may be familiar with using a cafeteria plan for employees to pay for health insurance on a pre-tax basis, there are taxation rules that apply to voluntary plans, life insurance coverage exceeding a certain amount, long-term disability or short-term disability, fringe benefits, and wellness rewards.
This webinar will:
- Review basic employment tax laws that apply to health and welfare benefits
- Describe general taxation rules that apply to fringe benefits
- Describe the taxation rules that apply to voluntary plans, including fixed indemnity plans
- Discuss the taxation of employer-provided group term life insurance coverage over $50,000
- Discuss the pros and cons of paying premiums pre-tax or post-tax for long-term or short-term disability
- Discuss the taxation of wellness program rewards
- Discuss the potential consequences of evading employment taxes
- Describe best practices when offering voluntary plans, fringe benefits, and wellness rewards
This 60-minute intermediate level webinar will help employers understand their obligations when they offer benefits that are subject to income tax withholding and employment taxes.
The presentation will be posted on the UBA website the day before the webinar.
Lorie Maring is Of Counsel in the Atlanta, Georgia, office of Fisher Phillips. She focuses her practice on helping employers navigate Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and other state and federal laws impacting the design, implementation and ongoing compliance of their employee benefit plans and programs.
Ms. Maring regularly advises clients on the Affordable Care Act, health and welfare benefits, qualified plans, executive compensation, Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements (MEWAs) and multiemployer plan issues.
This webinar is complimentary, please use code UBA490EW when registering.
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me or any member of your RBA team.
Russ Blakely & Associates
May 2017: “What Employers Need to Know About Offering and Terminating Employee Benefits”:
April 2017:”What Employers Need to Know About HIPAA and HITECH” :
March 2017: “What Employers Need to Know About Cafeteria Plan Nondiscrimination Rules”: http://webinars.ubabenefits.com/WebinarRecordingGateway/tabid/2890/Default.aspx?rid=4b4e3f75-2984-4873-96d7-4e17555ddc31
February 2017: “What Employers Need to Know about the Medicare Secondary Payer Rules and the CMS Data Match Program” is:
January 2017:”When Employers Offer Health Benefits to Non-Employees” is: http://webinars.ubabenefits.com/WebinarRecordingGateway/tabid/2890/Default.aspx?rid=2be2646c-f7ed-4693-b699-b8ee680039b9
latest news / compliance updates
subscribe to our newsletter
Get Employee Benefits News and Insights Delivered to Your Inbox
We bring personalized, comprehensive benefits coverage to employees